Schmellypig chews the fat

Monday, December 09, 2002

Some books you should read:

Franny and Zooey (J.D.Salinger)
Salinger's short stories
F.Scott Fitzgerald's short stories (and This Side of Paradise)
A Handful of Dust and Brideshead Revisited (Evelyn Waugh)
Practically anything by Robertson Davies, especially Rebel Angels
The Glass Menagerie (a play by Tennessee Williams)
Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf (by I can't remember)
I want to read: The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen and some Eugene O'Neil(l?) plays
Am trying to read: A Mathematician's Apology, Life of Pi, Mere Christianity

I should say, that as I am writing this, on the late eve of my first oral med exam, there are bits of peaches and cream oatmeal falling out of my hair because I just had an oatmeal fight with Porage. It all started - I wanted a bowl of peaches and cream porridge - so I decided to teach Porage how to boil water and add it to a packet of instant oatmeal. This guy lives and thrives ( I don't know how) on gallons of gatorade, cost-co size boxes of Mr. Big bars, jumbo cookies from costco, mars bars, McDonalds, wings, and poutine from Harveys and KFC...it's rather my dream diet, but i don't have the technical sewing skills to let all my pants out. I'd probably end up buying one pair of elastic pants (wait...i already have some...hhmmm....) and wear them all the time (wait...i do that already in the privacy of my own home..hmmmm...). Anyway, I think his mom even gave him two buckets of pre-peeled, de-skinned grapefruit slives, and I give Porage an apple or a carrot here and there, but I'm always cautious - I make sure he knows the name of the fruit, ask whether he's ever seen this particular fruit or vegetable before, and always watch closely after ingestion for signs of rejection of natural vitamin. In exactly one week I will be heading back to Toronto. it's funny to think that by this time next week, I will have written and finished oral med, occlusion, practice administration, anatomy and dental bioch...the first half of my first year in dentistry, over. As a brief, tender aside (rare, and not to worry, it won't ever happen again) it's been wonderful to be with a nice, small dental family of 50 or so kids, a great bunch of kids to plug through the smelly dissections, to run (or not) to Tim Horton's and get half cap half coffees before the profs lock the door, to loiter in UCC and drill burn marks in teeth, to figure out lab coat separation systems for clinic lab coats and cadaver lab coats.... And still, through all the beautiful friendships, I somehow end up with a nickname like Piggy, and meet people who fart and burp "like there's no tomorrow", complete with pre-farting preparation power-kung fu movements...to bring on the blast (i.e. Jesse - and I hear that despite the power, there's no sound...tsk tsk). hmmm. YAAAAAY! i love dentistry!! yaaaaaay!
aight aight g'night